In the last 3 months, have you suffered from:
- Shortness of breath or chest tightness?
You may have Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (COPD).
There are two main forms of COPD:
- Chronic bronchitis, which involves a long-term cough with mucus
- Emphysema, which involves damage to the lungs over time
- Most people with COPD have a combination of both conditions.
- COPD is the 5th leading cause of death in Australia, 2014.
- 90% of cases of chronic obstructive lung disease are caused by smoking.
- Smoking causes a continuous inflammation in airways, which leads to limited airflow into the lungs, and scarring of lung tissues.
- There is no cure for COPD at this stage.
- Because the symptoms develop slowly, some people may not know that they have COPD.
The good news is:
- It is easily diagnosed with lung function test (spirometry) and Chest X ray/CT.
- Early diagnosis and prompt management will help to reserve your lung function.
Take some positive action by talking to one of our GPs today about:
- Trying to quit smoking.
- Concerns about respiratory symptoms.
- Current treatments for COPD that may be still resulting in respiratory symptoms.
Call Providence Medical and Dental – Belmont to make an appointment for a lung function test, or a review of medication.